Monday 10 January 2011

The Winter Winds

Another week of shooting as flown by, but unfortunately its not been one of my best, but then again its only partly been one of my worse ones, or at least compared to recent shoots.

Tuesday's practicing went fairly well, most grouping together, but did see a pile getting stuck in the boss, no real problem getting it out with pliers, yes I'm aware I should have pushed it through rather than pull its out, but due to indoor bosses being tightly tied together rather than undoing and forcing it through it was just as easy to pull it out again using needle nose pliers. But apart from that went well.

Thursday was a Bray 1 day, being a new month best to put in a new score early and improve on it later, but my shooting was fairly erratic and I had a shocking amount of misses, out of a possible 30, in two Brays I only hit with 21 and 24 respectively, which recently is rather bad for me, as I normally have 2-4 misses. But as the scores weren't too far off my personal best (PB) despite the erratic shots the ones I hit were making up. For example one end of 6 arrows were scored as 10, 10, 7, 10, 1, M = 38 which for an end with 3 tens in is pretty bad, but can't be helped now. Suffice to say I've not made the longbow team this month (yet). After starting the first Bray with an end of 3 misses in a row, one archer quipped that it was very surprising because while practising, I'm normally consistently in the target, hovering around the centre.

So Sunday was a new start and was a Postal Portsmouth, which the past two I have done have been improvements, and up till then had no misses. But Sunday proved to be the fatal day where one arrow, for reasons known only to itself flew off above the target missing the paper completely favouring the saw colour. During the ends I was noticing that my shooting would be nicely grouped and then scatter shotgun style, so I'm obviously doing something wrong, bracing height has slipped a bit so might have to correct that, I'll figure it out when I get time. Though despite the miss I managed a score of 407 59/6 which, not being my best, is better than the first one I did, so despite being tired still shooting fairly well. Oh a congratulations to Shaun Allen for setting a new club longbow record of 524 for a Portsmouth, well done to you. Also well done to Doug Shaw for investing in a longbow, though you compound archers might moan a bit more.

Still think they should put a longbow archery event in the Olympics seeing as its one of the origins of archery, and has yet got no modern equivalent. Recurves stem from the old composite bows, compounds.......well dunno what they are based off but I'm guessing it was an American who came up with it (I'll have to look that up). But I'd also like to see more clubs to be friendly towards crossbows, ok people say the damage the bosses, but if you put limits on the heads do they damage them anymore than other types of modern bows?

Didn't help much that the pile I re-glued came loose and just pulled off again in my hand, think its time to invest in some new glue, and let it set for longer next time. I need new glue for making arrows for my heavier bow anyway so not put out too much.

Since I've not been sleeping much over this past week, this may account for the erratic shooting. With the Chester shoot looming, and being my first external shoot going to be practising as much as possible, might even try to straight some of my more banana shaped arrows, but a bit wary to doing this incase I make them worse, though I suppose never know until you try.

Till next time, happy shooting all.

No comments:

Post a Comment