Friday 21 January 2011

Flying High In The Fog

With the start of this week the winter cold has returned to the area and the walk to archery is a cold one when starting off, but I have to admit it does wake me up after a dull day of work and going on five hours sleep. But its a good way to relieve tension built up throughout the day/week.

Tuesday was the full moon and it obviously had a great effect on my ravens as each flew straight to the target allowing me to set a new personal best for a Bray1 of 169 30/1. Yes you read it right that's thirty hits on a bray, so no misses. Still 35 off the current record but bit more practice might be able to reach it before the summer season starts. Took me two dozen to realise I had no misses and for the last three arrows of the bray one of my hands were shaking, so its actually a surprise that I achieved no misses. Once the scores were put in though they allowed me to relax by promptly missing with the next arrow.

Thursday did see a drop in performance though with two brays being shot and getting same number of hits and golds 26/2 but a difference of 18 on the score 126, 144. So definitely drop down since Tuesday but the second score isn't too bad, first one I'm a bit annoyed with but seeing as I do my best shooting on Tuesdays it must be related to how tired I am from previous nights. I've started plotting out my scores on excel to see how I am progressing throughout the seasons, and it seems I'm currently averaging just over 138, though it wasn't helped by two scores on a bad night last week of 102 and 103. Slightly off topic but still fun the weather on Thursday was a thick fog and seeing as on cold nights I wear my long black leather coat due to the thickness of the fog, I did make a few people jump as I appeared out of the dark fog with quiver on the back and bow (in bag) in hand. Now I have been stopped by the police before walking back from archery on a clear night just cause I looked suspicious one of their comments being, "Something from a computer game or horror film", so what people must've thought on Thursday would be interesting.

Congratulations to Doug Shaw for shooting enough to get a handicap with a longbow, scoring a high score of 98 (I think it was). Also well done to Steve Cox for shooting a bray with his longbow, all got to start somewhere.

With the new bow on its way, I shall be starting to work on some new arrows shortly, one problem is though the new arrow heads are being looked at with interest. After a brief talk with the equipments officer depending on what they do to bosses I may not be allowed to use them, which would be a shame as they are nice, no real shoulder, but we'll see how it goes. I may only be allowed to use them for club only/practice shoots but that would be better than nothing. Seeing as outdoors I don't really get mass grouping in one place I wouldn't think they'd hurt the boss that much. I have done a little test at home with a foam block looking at what hole it leaves compared to a field tip and doesn't seem that different. I do have some pictures which will be put on here shortly.......hopefully. So stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment