Monday 16 May 2011

Unforseen Problems

Greetings once more, I am sad to say a recent tragedy has struck my shooting. My new longbow is already delaminating, so its got to be returned to the bowyer. Not a good thing only after a few months, and to make matters worse, despite it already doing three trips neither Parcel Force, or the Post Office are willing to send it because of its length, so having to find different couriers who are willing to send it for a decent price.

Since this delamination has started I've admitted that I've had to go back to my previous lighter bow and I will tell you something. After a few months of using the heavy bow, the lighter bow now seems to have no draw weight by comparison. Seeing as the lighter one is about 20lbs lighter its understandable, but it till makes shooting harder in a way, not because of the draw because drawing it back is almost as easy as pulling your arm back without a bow in it, its the whole frame of mind. I've said before that I shoot instinctively and shooting a bow that I've not practiced outdoors with for 6 months, I'm having to re-learn where to aim with it, and since my old arrows aren't really the right length compared to the new bows arrows there are difficulties. I might shorted the arrows when I get time, give me a bit more cast, but at the moment I'm having to make do with what I have. Hopefully though at the latest my heavy bow will be back and repaired with me before Keddlestone, so I can re-practice. But in the mean time I will continue to practice with the lighter bow, just to keep my body used to the movements.

What is also a pain is that this month has quite a few shoots and competitions, and though I admit I could shoot the short versions of the round I would prefer to join in the longer distances, esp as I've now achieved my 2nd class I want to go for my 1st class, but I need the cast and weight of the heavier bow to reach the distances. Plus I find it easier shooting the longer distances, not for hitting the target but for drawing the bow. Also I currently be behind our current more experienced longbow archers, but bit of practice and could close the gap. Always gives a secondary sense of achievement, when I get close to some scores, or manage to beat others scores during certain ends, esp as I'm using arrows I've made, not ones that have been bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment