Friday 10 December 2010

Portsmouth Postals

As the name suggests this week was the postal league Portsmouth round, which is five dozen arrows on a 60cm target. Despite the less than average turn out, I think the club managed to cobble together the four recurve teams (though this did include 4 longbowers) and at least 2 out of 3 people for the compound team. But the weather was mild and the rain had melted most of the ice on the road so was much less slippery, overall pleasant evening walk and shoot.
The Portsmouth target despite being the larger of the indoor targets was one I'd practiced less on, yes I practice on the smaller targets with a longbow, I did rather well. Only recording a Portsmouth round once before, my personal best was increased by 51 points, final score was 438,  60 hits, 11 Golds. Seeing as both my Portsmouth round score had no misses, it means I'm honing myself more into the centre, esp as I was enjoying being congratulated every so often by fellow longbowers for shooting good ends. Despite my last half dozen having a few arrows deciding they were bored of colours and prefered the white rings, it was still good enough to beat two other longbow archers only coming second (out of the longbows) to Shawn, who set a new club record, but I'm catching up so bit more practice and who knows.
The more interesting result is that I'm still beating recurve archers, which as said before for a longbower novice with no sight aids is pretty good. Yeah I might get better scores with recurves but longbows are or least to me, so much more relaxing and feels right in the hand. I read a series of books recently where one character (surprisingly called longbow) said he always felt his bow was just an extension of his arm, and though it might not have begun that way, it is getting more like that to me.
Quick change of topic before I go. While looking around on some archery shop websites, I noticed a type of fletching called "raven".......it looks like half an arrow head, so I might invest in some them out next time I make a new flock (12-arrows) see how they go. Still thinking of having the two black arrows, might have them with warheads on.....hmmm think about it a bit more see what conclusions I come to, they'd look nice.
Stay tuned for next week, it'll probably be a little later because there is a frostbite on Sunday, so if its not wet the cloak might be coming out. I'll try to get pictures.......so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment