Saturday 27 November 2010

Raven's Sight

The close of another week saw the clubs monthly medal and this time despite my success at shooting well enough to earn the handicap medal, this week proved a some what more prestigious medal, or at least in my eyes. I managed to shoot well enough to win the monthly longbow scratch medal. This means that I manged to shoot a higher score on a Bray 1 round compared to other longbow archers that were competing. I will admit that the longbow archers I were competing against weren't the best that the club has to offer, but both archers still have years of experience compared to myself. The two other longbow archers I was competing with did use aiming aids, e.g rubber band around the bow, or a stand on the ground to adjust their aim to compensate, while I myself shoot purely by eye alone so if I can be competitive without their benefits, then I know that even though at times I may not shoot as well as I could at least I am shooting out of pure judgement and skill alone. I know its not the best way to shoot but I prefer the traditional, I means whats the point of having alot of gizmo's to make you hit the gold all the time, whats the point. All helps to my goal of building up to a proper English Warbow.
I have ordered a new longbow to be made for me ready for the next outdoor season at a hefty 55lb draw at 26", by a Mr Adrian Hayes made from Ipe, Lemonwood and Bamboo. This is quite a bit heavier than my current bow so it'll mean starting to build up my shoulder and back muscles to cope, being bamboo it will also be alot faster than my current bow made from Hickory, Purpleheartwood, and Lemonwood, so this means that I'll be able to reach the further targets with my arrows, while at the moment I'm limited to about 60yrds, 80yrds at a push. But being able to reach further targets means I can reach higher ranking classifications, and earn medals that I can keep, rather than the monthly ones which have to be given back.

No comments:

Post a Comment